In 2003 club members Don Sherratt and Dave Hutton were metal detecting when they noticed that a quantity of tessera lay on the surface of the field following some recent agricultural cultivations.
On investigation it became evident that a Roman mosaic floor lay under the field and that part of it was still intact.
The floor was quite badly damaged but enough remained to get a clear picture of how the floor would have looked about 1700 years ago.
The general design is geometric with red and white diamond borders enclosing a series of large square panels.
Only three whole square panels and part of a further three have so far been uncovered.
The entire floor appears to have been surrounded by a wide border of red tesserae, but its full extent is unknown at present.
Inside the panels are various designs.
One panel has an eight-petalled flower surrounded by a circular guilloche (interwoven ribbon pattern border) made using red, white, grey and brown tesserae.
In one of the corners of this panel there is a heart-shaped leaf.
Another panel, though badly damaged, shows part of an icanthus (a type of two handled jug),